A charter school is a school of choice and is open to any student who wants to apply, regardless of where he or she lives, space permitting.
A charter school combines elements of private and regular public school – Dr. Hoxby (Stanford University).
Elements of Private School
- Flexibility of school program and curriculum.
- More input from parent and school staff.
- Less bureaucracy.
Elements of Public School
- Tuition free education
- Non-discriminatory (racial, income, etc.).
- Credentialed teachers of core subjects.
- Same services (lunch services, special education, sports).
- State testing & accountability.
- Funding sources (state & federal).
Public School Funding Programs - Charter can choose to be funded in two ways:
Independent Study Programs
- Funding is based on student work completion and academic progress.
- Attendance at academy is voluntary.
- Includes home study (homeschool) and academy instruction (learning center)
- Attendance based.
- Attendance is compulsory.